Today was Benjamin's surgery. We had an early morning and plucked Benjamin from bed and headed to the hospital for a 6:30am check-in. We were in the new Children's hospital at Emanuel, which is incredible. He got to wear the "faded red" (ok, they were pink) hospital pajamas again and got to take wagon rides around the day surgery loop, play in a variety of scooter cars, and hang out in a fun play room before the surgery. If I hadn't forgotten the camera I would have posted a picture of it.
After receiving a dose of Versed (happy medicine) he didn't even seem to mind a bit when the nurse and Anesthesiologist wheeled him away from us, especially when the Anesthesiologist said he could hang on to the toy tiger that he had been playing with in the staging area. We waited in the same room that we has come so familiar. Even seeing the same quilts hanging on the wall brought back memories, some tough memories of hearing some not-so-great news, and some wonderful memories, like the night he had emergency surgery his second day of life and we were surprised to be surrounded by family and friends late at night and all prayed together. Thankfully the time passed quickly and before I knew it they were taking me back to see him.
He wasn't very happy about the IV when he woke up and it had to be taped up pretty good to keep him from pulling it out. He was asking everyone he saw to "take it off." Soon enough he was rewarded for hanging in there with a orange popsicle and a movie. We were released around lunchtime and when we started to leave the building Benjamin said "I want a cheeseburger." We weren't planning on it, but decided that we would give it to this request as a treat.
I am so grateful to all who have prayed for us and loved us through another surgery. This afternoon we are praising God yet again!
I saw your comment at Dominic's blog....I'm another mama whose baby needs surgeries....many. I cried through your last post, the 8th surgery--I understand and felt the exact same way. My baby has a cleft lip/palate and has had 2 surgeries so far. He also has kidney issues and has a surgery in about a week and a half on his ureters/kidneys. Every time I think about it, I just cry. (and pray)
ReplyDeleteGod bless you...you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Nice to "meet" you.
Jamie (nice name :) ),
DeleteI am so sorry that you are part of the elite group of mommies that has to watch their children go though surgery after surgery. Oddly enough, we were just told this morning at what I thought would be the last ETN/audiology appointment that Benjamin might have to have yet another surgery for tubes as well as something else (I was so shocked I didn't catch it all.) It is a relatively minor surgery I am sure, but for some reason it still hit me hard as I was really hoping that 2013 would be our first surgery free year (I hoped the same about 2010, 2011, & 2012 though too.) Still, considering he was given a 50% chance of survival and told he was at risk for a huge list of complications/conditions, he is doing amazing now. I just wish I had a picture of how he is now back then in those long, dark days of uncertainty.
I will be praying for your little one's surgery coming up. I'm not sure anything is quite as painful as seeing your baby struggle. If you ever need prayer or just someone to unload on that has been in a similar place, feel free to email me. Good to "meet" you too. Jamie Grove, peachgrove@gmail.com
Thank you jamie--Thank you for the song this morning...through tears I'm typing this. Prayers right back at you, for you sweet little boy. My husband and I were talking the other day about how the first surgery people were more, ummm, I don't know, more understanding, but after the 2nd and now 3rd, people get busy and they seem almost like it's no big deal or something. BUT to us, it is a big deal, just as much as the first. Every time there is risk. (I don't find this in the blogworld) SO, 8th, 9th, 20th surgery, I understand get it.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much.